Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Thursday, May 21, 2009

U.S. Patent Office web site runs on Netscape iPlanet?

I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised at this, but I never seriously thought I would encounter the name "iPlanet(TM) Web Server Enterprise Edition" on an in-production web site again any time soon. And yet it turns out, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's publicly searchable database of patent applications is powered by a 2001 version of Netscape's app server.

The iPlanet "welcome page" can be found at, which is one of the hosts for the Patent Application search site.

Brings back memories, doesn't it?


  1. As the welcome page clearly states, it is the fastest webserver on the planet! Why would you use anything else?

    The SPECweb99 benchmark results from April 12, 2001 prove that the iPlanet Web Server 6.0 is the fastest web server on the planet.

  2. I used to love the Netscape web server + directory server & mail/messaging server (Suite Spot). I had it in all my datacenters. Then it became iPlanet through the Sun/AOL acquisition. And then the Sun Java Enterprise blah blah blah.

    A perfect example of how a great product can be ruined by crappy marketing.


Add a comment. Registration required because trolls.