Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Close

Monday, February 06, 2006

Novell Open-Sources FLAIM Database

Novell has decided to donate its high-performance FLAIM Database Engine (and the XML-savvy version, XFLAIM) to open source. FLAIM is not new and is not meant to compete with MySQL. It's a platform-neutral, massively scalable, very-high-performance transactional database, written in C++ as a persistence back-end for Novell eDirectory. (It is also used in GroupWise.) The XFLAIM version uses XPath for a query language.

The fact that there are Novell customers with well over 100 million objects in their FLAIM-backed eDirectory trees should tell you how scalable and robust the FLAIM technology is. (It should be robust, after nearly 20 years of development!)

If you want to get a feel for what XFLAIM is all about (given that I can't do it justice here), go to the documentation.

Is this Novell's first step toward open-sourcing eDirectory? Quite honestly, I don't know. (If I did know, I couldn't write about it here.)

2 comments:

  1. Well, it's very good article! I recently came across your blog and read along. I thought I would write my first comment. I do not know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I'm visiting.

    Buy Dissertation | Dissertation Help | dissertation proposal | custom dissertation | Thesis Writing Help | Best Dissertation Writing | Affordable Dissertation

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Novell first designed their directory, they decided to store large amounts of their operational server data within the directory in addition to just user account information. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment. Registration required because trolls.