Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Close

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dr. Dobbs is (un)dead

This is an incredibly sad day for me.

Dr. Dobbs Journal, one of the great programming resources of the late DOS/early Windows era, has finally died, a victim (ironically) of the Internet's triumph over pulp-and-ink.

The venerable programmer's magazine hasn't exactly gone away entirely: It will (somewhat sadly) continue as "Dr. Dobbs Report — A Special Software Development Monthly Section in InformationWeek Magazine."

But that, too, has the smell of death about it.

To say that I owe a lot to DDJ is an understatement. DDJ was a critical part of my programming education. Allen Holub's early DDJ articles on the newfangled C language taught me a huge amount about programming and profoundly influenced my development as a coder. (Eventually, in 1991, I even wrote an article myself for DDJ.)

It's a sad thing, this disappearance of the printed word, this seemingly unstoppable deprecation of protons and neutrons. Magazines, newspapers, books, music CDs -- all on the endangered species list. Is all of human culture destined to be disseminated by coax cable and microwave radiation?

If you'll excuse me, I have to be alone right now.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you, Kas! I was very upset to read in my most recent (perhaps last? I can't remember) paper copy of DDJ about this change. Being able to hold that issue in my hands and read when and where I want to has always been an important part of the experience (true of DDJ and a lot of other things).

    Sad, indeed...

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment. Registration required because trolls.