Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Close

Monday, June 15, 2009

What does it mean to have 10K Twitter followers?

NOTE: This post, about how I do Twitter, is obsolete now, in that I currently have well over 300,000 followers, not 10K, and I've learned a lot about Twitter in the four years since this post was written. See this 2013 post for more up-to-date info. 

NOTE: If you came here wanting to know what "+K" means in a tweet, it refers to Klout.com kred points. If you came here to learn what the 'K' means in 10K, it means thousand. Lots of people Google it, apparently.

Somebody on Twitter asked me over the weekend what it means to have 10K Twitter followers. Since most people learn in grade school that 'K' used in a numeric context means "thousand," I have to assume that the person's question was rhetorical in nature rather than numerical. Either that, or he failed 5th grade.

Still, let me make it perfectly clear. Having 10K Twitter followers means just one thing. It means you have ten times more than 1K Twitter followers.

It's important for me to have an audience, because by profession I'm a person who transfers knowledge and influences opinion. If I have a larger audience, I'm more effective at what I do. That's fundamentally why I went about the six-month-long task of trying to attract and keep ten thousand Twitter followers, a goal I reached on Sunday.

Of course, it doesn't help to have followers if they are all robots, nut cases, and mouthbreathers. Quality counts. Unfortunately, Twitter attracts its share of hucksters, scammers, lamers, and marketing hangers-on, and many of them spend their days and nights trying to follow people in hopes of a pingback of some kind. I have some of those people in my 10K, but not so many as to make the remainder not worth having. In fact, I count the quality of my follower list to be extremely high, and I'll explain why I think that -- and just how I got to the 10K mark, incidentally -- tomorrow.

For more on this subject, see my 99-cent e-book.

20 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:34 AM

    ambush!! xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:39 PM

    ughhhh......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:35 PM

    If you were actually interested in telling a story or giving some insight, you wouldn't have split this post into two attempts at what is effectively spamming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second piece is an UPDATE, okay, if you don't understand the concept of updating a story after FOUR YEARS, then you're welcome to read outdated material forever.

      Delete
  4. And if you were really interested in contributing, you'd use your real name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:46 AM

    asshat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:48 AM

    By the way, I'm a different "anonymous", not the one you're challenging to use their real name. I probably, like them, couldn't be bothered to log in to my gmail. You asshat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:15 AM

    Thanks.
    I understand that k means Thousand right ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes.. it does... so for example.. 1k.. means 1000

      Delete
  8. Anonymous3:32 PM

    Or maybe the person who asked u weren't American/British/Australian. I didn't know what 10K was til' a few days ago. Cause it's not like they say 10K instead of 10 000 in French, Swedish or German or some other language..

    Have a good life ppl :)
    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Hello! I could have sworn I've visited this web site before but after going through many of the posts I realized it's new to me.
    Anyhow, I'm certainly happy I found it and I'll be book-marking it
    and checking back often!|

    Feel free to surf to my blog post pity 2013 program

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:44 PM

    The Pandora Internet Radio application for the IPhone lets users
    listen to their own radio station that they have personalized themselves.
    During the night it registers your light sleep phases. In fact,
    some evidence shows that as many as 50 per cent
    of i - Phone users find new apps through recommendations
    of friends.

    Feel free to visit my site how to use kik messenger online

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:22 AM

    Great post.

    My blog ... http://www.ruggedpcstore.com/panasonic-rugged-tablets/ ()

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:24 PM

    Evernote makes i - Phone, i - Pod Touch and i - Pad into an extension of your
    brain and lets you keep notes, ideas, snapshots and recordings.
    I like the way it includes the Developer's notes first and then their review.
    The app which you develop should provide productivity to the user in a very unique way or in a
    way that improves upon the other productivity apps.


    Also visit my page; kik messenger android

    ReplyDelete
  13. What the fuck is Thwitha?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why do Celebrities prefer the iPhone over Android? | Smartphone Reviews and Tablet Reviews
    Why So Many Celebrities prefer the iPhone! It seems a little crazy at times that so many celebritie...
    Celebrity iPhone users

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! buy instagram photo likes

    ReplyDelete
  16. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here! buy arab targeted instagram followers

    ReplyDelete
  17. my instagram name: honey_bear_summi

    Sorry there is no shortcut or application to make all of sudden to increase followers you need to make your own profile in such a way to showcase yourself to world by uploading photos that everyone would look and surely like as well as follow you would suggest you to be yourself and don't UNFOLLOW anyone that could unvalued them.
    you can show your love for me. search for honey_bear_summi on instagram

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment. Registration required because trolls.